Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Student's Untimely Farewell

Amiel Alcantara. I will never forget that name. Upon receiving a message regarding the tragic incident, I knew deep inside that I've not just tragically lost a student, but also a driving force in my journey as a teacher. With his brotherly praises and greetings filled with tremendous joy and unforgettable laughter, as unmagnanimous destiny was for him, no one would not feel a certain stop in the beating of one's heart in sadness and hatred (for the dreams that will never be fulfilled, for the visions that will never be conceived). 
 
As I've read his parent's appeal for prayer, surely, I believe this is the best gift that I can give and share all for him in this moment.  

Humihingi kami ng mga dasal niyo para sa kaluluwa ni Amiel Alcantara. Siya ay nasa ikaapat na baitang at mag-aaral ng Mababang Paaralan ng Ateneo de manila. Kanina lamang, siya'y naipit ng dalawang kotse sa may dismissal/waiting area, oras ng kanilang uwian. Kinailangan pa siyang hugutin mula sa ibaba ng kotse upang maialis siya sa pagkaipit. Maraming dugo ang nakita sa pinangyarihan ng insidente. Naisugod pa siya sa ospital ngunit hindi rin nagtagal at siya'y pumanaw. Nawa'y ipagdasal niyo ang kanyang kaluluwa at ang kanyang pamilya. Pakipasa ang mensaheng ito sa iba. Maraming salamat po.

I am offering my condolences to his family especially to his brother Avie who is also one of my students. 

Godspeed, Amiel. 

No comments: